Williamson-like critique


We are already in December and I am writing my last blog post. This was my favorite part of this class because it helped to think about yourself in your working life and to reflect on the actions of your manager and team leader. 

This class was special because deadlines were very soft and the attendance at class was not required. I really liked that we had soft deadlines because you don’t have the pressure to submit a lot of homework on one day. Moreover, it improves the quality of your work because you choose a time to write the blog post, excel homework or quiz when you are really concentrated and have time and not on days when you have to submit a lot of homework. 

Furthermore, I enjoyed writing the blog posts and when you don’t have such a pressure with the deadline you see more the part you like about it. I think in sum the class can have much better results with teaching the class in this way because every student can search for a good moment for writing the blog post.

It was also important for me to have soft deadlines on the excel homework because sometimes you need longer to figure it out and watch videos and read about it. In this class I had the time to think about it and take a few days longer to study it.

As mentioned above attendance was not required in this class. I was one of those people who went to nearly every class session because I saw a personal benefit in it. At the beginning a lot of students were in this class but at the end only a few were sitting in it. For me it was nice because only these people came to class who were really interested in and we could also ask our personal questions about blog posts and the professor had time to explain it. 

Sometimes I think it also could be really nice in this class to have class discussions with more people because you hear more opinion and you get to know different kind of opinions. I think it could have changed that more people come in class when you get a point for every session you are in class. This would motivate people to come and they would also get the benefits of this class.

I would recommend this class to do something more interactive and maybe take attendance in class. For example, at my university at home we often play fun games in groups at the beginning of the semester to get to know the classmates better. In my opinion this has a very good impact on the class because when you know your classmates better the atmosphere is more relaxed and you like it more to speak in class. This also has the effect that you have better and longer discussions. 

Moreover, it would have been helpful for me to talk a bit more about the excel homework in class. This could make it easier to solve the problems and understand it better. 

To sum up, I enjoyed the class especially the blog posts because I learned a lot about writing and behavior in organizations. Moreover, I liked that we worked with excel because we don’t use it at my university at home and especially the introductions on how to use it was very helpful for me. 



Comments

  1. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked the blog posts, even though English is not your native language. I enjoyed reading about the examples you provided as they are different from the experiences other students report.

    I wonder if you've ever take a course that was entirely self-paced. In such a course, the student gets to decide when to submit the work. As long as the work is satisfactory, the student can proceed . I think self-pacing commends itself for certain classes, but not for others. In particular, it is harder to have any live sessions with self-pacing as the students are at different point in their trajectory through the course.

    A reality that I didn't tell the class yet, but I will on Tuesday, is that this course probably won't be offered again. The university doesn't really want retirees to be teaching. The only reason I got the opportunity to do so this time around is that several faculty in the Economics department had left at the last minute. So they needed replacements. Presumably they'll have that problem figured out by next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a test to see if the comments work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I never had a self-placed class. On my home university we have to submit all on a special platform and we have very strict deadlines. This is the reason I was positively surprised to have here a class with soft deadlines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog